Sunday, December 22, 2013

CHRISTMAS GINGERBREAD STAR COOKIES


A GINGERBREAD CHRISTMAS


There is nothing that reminds me that it’s the Christmas season like the smell of gingerbread cookies baking in the oven. I have a tradition of making these cookies for some of my friends and family who look forward to my “Gingerbread Stars” every year.

I found my signature “Star” cookie cutter at Walmart many years ago. The cutter is bigger than average and isn’t one of those flimsy cookie cutters that you often find in the stores nowadays. My “star” cutter makes a darn big cookie that tastes yummy with a cup of herb tea or a morning cup of coffee on cold winter days. The cookies keep wonderfully in a cool place for a couple of weeks.
Of course, you can use any type of cookie cutter you want to use, but my advice is to find a favorite and make your own signature cookie for the season! Make a tradition that lasts for generations.
I’ve tried plenty of gingerbread recipes over the years, but this particular one provides just the right amount of ginger, molasses, cloves, and cinnamon, and together with a tablespoon of vinegar, makes a delicately spiced cookie that’s sure to please both adults and kids. Of course, the icing makes the cookie absolutely decadent.  

Gingerbread Cookies

Note: I do cut my cookies a bit thicker than average (about ¼ inch).

1 Cup shortening (I use buttery Crisco)

1 Cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 cup molasses

2 Tablespoons vinegar

5 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cloves

Cream shortening and sugar.  Beat in egg, molasses and vinegar.  Sift together dry ingredients; blend in.  Chill 2 hours

Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface.  Cut in shapes.  Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper placed on cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 deg. For approx. 8 minutes.  Cool slightly; remove to rack.  

Icing

2 cups of confectioner’s sugar –

1 T of vanilla and slowly add equal parts evaporated milk and water and slowly add to confectioner’s sugar until the frosting is creamy, but not too thin.  Pastry brush icing on cooling cookies while still warm from the oven.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment